Review: Taare Zameen Par

In one word ... "Wow" ...

Aamir Khan has done it again ... One of the most well-made movies I have ever seen ... A directorial debut for Aamir and it seemed like he has made movies all his life … Such a well taken movie that it must have brought about a change in the perspectives of lots of people. Mine, definitely. I found tears in my eyes during so many scenes in the movie.

The movie brings out the feelings of a kid growing up in this world of cut-throat competition, where there is no place for creativity.

It was so thought provoking ... something that seems to happen so often in life. We must have seen it time and again both as kids studying and also otherwise. Parents and the society put so much pressure onto the kids without trying to understand their problems. And then this thought, “My kid cannot have a problem”. And why think of it as a problem. It is just that the kid has a different way of understanding and seeing things which could be slower than other kids. And why should slow be considered as bad?

Talking of speed - where every kid should understand things easily and fast. If not get irritated – shout and abuse them. How many time we may have heard this one, “Why the hell can’t you understand such a simple thing”. Why should it understand? We never see it as our flaw that we are not able to make the kid understand. Never trying to understand the barrier to their understanding and get that sorted out.

Instead of helping the tender minds explore the creativity within themselves, we kill their creativity by throwing in the weights of our expectations and our unfulfilled ambitions. I didn’t get into IIT, my kid will fulfill my dream. Bull-shit.

The movie has just shown a different perspective in life. Lets all try and appreciate that. An engineer or a doctor or a Management is not what life if all about. If anything life is hell for people in these professions. But all that people see is the glamour and the money that it visible from the outside. There is more to life than money and power.

A movie that every parent should watch. It will change the way you bring up your kids.

Finally, after seeing the movie I felt more indebted to my parents. Appa and Amma (I know you are reading this .. where ever you are) … Thanks for bearing with me during times of my failures and giving me all the time that I needed. Thanks for understanding me.

3 comments:

santosh said...

Cool to see activity, on the movies front that too :-)

Unknown said...

You have put your thoughts so wonderfully. Of course this movie is indeed thought provoking not only in the minds of adults but also the children. Here at home school when we screened the movie most of the senior children had tears in their eyes at the end of the movie and said that they want to help such a child if around them and even the juniors felt the same way.
And ofcourse as you said the credit does go the appa and amma for being so understanding. There have been instances I remember them telling me not to tease or laugh at you when your voice broke. I think we are lucky to have such parents.

And i am really proud to be your sis.

Hariharan said...

Thanks Santosh ...

Thanks Shanti for your encouraging words ... :) ... I am also proud to be your brother ..